Thursday, February 3, 2011

Aren't We All a Little Aspie?

I never knew what Asperger's was until I started researching online to find something that could explain my son, who was then about 5 years old.  When I read about it, things made sense - his need for routine, his extreme difficulties with socialization, his emotional outbursts, obsessive interests, sensory sensitivities, and amazing intellect.  He fit the bill and I was relieved to find that there was a name for his collection of characteristics and that all signs pointed to him being able to overcome most of them.

And as I continued reading and researching and my knowledge of the nuances of AS increased, I began to be able to perceive its presence in varying degrees in other people.  It's kind of like "gaydar" - LOL - I can pick up the subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle signs of Aspergers in others.  Aspie-dar. 

This has led me to the understanding that a lot of us have a lot of Aspie qualities, especially in families where AS is already diagnosed.  I mean, this kid came from somewhere right?  The apple doesn't fall from the tree...?  Well neither does the Aspie. 

I do not believe I have Aspergers or that I'd be diagnosed with it, either as a child or an adult.  I was a very social kid, had plenty of friends, adjusted well to different situations, and didn't necessarily obsess over anything - okay, wait... maybe Ricky Schroder.  *sigh*



Anyway...although I wouldn't be diagnosed myself, I definitely see AS qualities in both me and my husband.  I'm guessing that Him + Me = Bubba.  Well, obviously, but I mean in the Asperger's way.  My quirks plus hubby's quirk melded into a super-quirky kid, diagnosable with AS. 

Most of my quirks are sensory oriented - though I've grown out of some as I've gotten older, such as foods touching.  That was a big no-no for me in my younger years, though that's pretty commonplace.  In high school I had a bit of a handwriting OCD thing going on where, if I made a letter imperfectly, I would have to try desperately to resist erasing and remaking it.  It made me feel a little crazy. 

I still have some problems with certain clothing items. I don't like button-down blouses because they feel confining when I move my arms forward.  I don't like any shoes that have smooth bottoms because I feel like I will slip and fall, therefore I almost never wear any kind of heels.

I don't like sharing certain things like toothbrushes or even my toothpaste - I need my own. 

When I go to bed, I need tight-fitting pants on, like thermal underwear, otherwise my legs feel crawly against the sheets. 

Sensory stuff.  I have a million of them.

As far as social stuff, I have some of it, but not a ton.  When I was a teen and into my early twenties I was petrified of going anywhere by myself.  Even the store. I wouldn't even get gas in my car unless someone was in the car with me.  I have overcome much of that, but that's not to say I don't get any anxiety about certain situations today.  I definitely do.

Hubby has more of the social stuff.  He is a loner, perfectly happy entertaining himself doing his own thing - mainly sports related games, internet surfing, cooking, etc.  He doesn't have much need for friends or social outlet.  When he's around people, he's very outgoing though, and has a sense of humor that he's well known for. 

But I can see how A + B = C and how it has trickled down in our families as well.  But I'm fine with that.  I think Bubs is really cool the way he is, challenges and all.  And while he feels different from other kids now, I think those differences will fall by the wayside as he gets older and realizes we are all weird in our own ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment