Thursday, December 23, 2010

His Way or the Highway

I had planned to take Bubba out today so he could pick out a couple of small gifts for his sister for Christmas.  He doesn't like to shop - really hates to run errands. So I knew this was going to be put off to the last minute.  He's much more interested in the computer game he's programming.  It's difficult to break him away from that because his focus is intense.  But being that it's the 23rd of December, I can't really let him procrastinate any longer.  Daddy's taking Matilda (nope, we didn't name her Matilda, but that's what I often call her at home) with him to get all the groceries needed for our Christmas meals, so that left me with the task of trying to unglue Bubs from his computer chair. 

Me: "Well, Bub, we better get going so we can pick out something for your sister." 
Him: "What?  No, I don't want to go anywhere." 
Me: "I can see that, but you don't have a gift for her yet and time is running out."
Him: "I want to make her something."

My initial thought - "Oh geez. This is not going to work." But then ... I remembered that Christmas isn't about buying something with a store-bought tag on it.  It's about giving.  And if Bubs wants to give something handmade to Matilda, then why should I frown upon it?  In fact, it's kind of awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment